The module Mobile Communications covers many topics of mobile and wireless communication systems - an area of Computer Science that shows tremendous growth rates and that influences more and more areas of our society.
We put special emphasis on a system perspective throughout the whole module and give many references to real systems, international standards and up-to-date research results.
Topics coverd are:
- Basics of wireless transmission: frequencies, signals, antennas, signal propagation, multiplexing, modulation, spread spectrum, cellular systems;
- Media access: SDMA, FDMA, TDMA, CDMA;
- Wireless telecommunication systems: GSM, TETRA, UMTS, IMT-2000, LTE;
- Wireless local area networks: infrastructure/ad-hoc, IEEE 802.11/15, Bluetooth;
- Mobile networking: Mobile IP, ad-hoc networks;
- Mobile transport layer: traditional TCP, adapted TCP versions, additional mechanisms;
- Mobility support;
- Outlook: 5th generation mobile networks